Doctoral student in modelling of ductile failure in heterogeneous materials
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för teknikvetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Solid Mechanics.
Solid Mechanics can be regarded as a link between materials science and applied mechanics, with emphasis on the latter and emphasis on computational methods, fracture mechanics, mechanics of materials.
In the current project, focus will be on developing a model for of ductile fracture in heterogeneous steels that has been subjected to time-dependent ageing and degradation mechanisms. Ductile failure is primarily an outcome of nucleation, growth and coalescence of voids. Here, the possible influence of nano-sized micro-voids, weakened grain boundaries and pre-existing defects in the micron/milli-metre range will be investigated. The research is fundamental and involves nonlocal continuum theory, numerical analysis with intrinsic material length scales, and verification by experimental work. It is interdisciplinary with connections to material science as microstructural changes that influence the ductile failure mechanism must be considered. Fracture properties affected by ageing phenomena must be addressed in many industrial applications, as for instance in nuclear, process and aerospace industry.
A suitable background would be a Master of Science in Engineering Mechanics.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Professor Jonas Faleskog and Lecturer Professor Pål Efsing.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A compulsory individual study plan to support your development in your area of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Language requirements
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
Good knowledge in English is strongly desirable. Good knowledge in Swedish is advantageous
A documented interest in research-like activities is advantageous.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions and certificates of fulfilled language requirements . These need to be translated into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: S-2020-0216
Last application date: 2020-03-08
Employer's other advertisements
Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, SMEs or Strategic Management (tenure track, 100%)
University of St. Gallen Switzerland
University of Basel Basel
2 Postdoc positions in new energy conversion technologies for the fossil free energy system
Technical University of Denmark (DTU) Lyngby-Taarbæk
Postdoc in data-driven mobility pattern analysis
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm
Postdoc in geometric combinatorics and artificial intelligence
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm